Monday, September 1, 2014

Got Zippers???

I'm having so much fun making these little zipper pouches that I just had to share them with you.



Aside from how cute they are. they have so many uses . . . and I keep thinking of more. Here is one packed with highlighters for a college class...and another to hold a cell phone and charger.


This sophisticated black and white bag is perfect for jewelry...or could even be used for a little clutch purse with a simple black dress.


 
I found the idea for these zippered pouches in the May issue of Country Living Magazine in the "idea notebook" section on page 42.


Here are the "chic pouches" that first caught my eye  in the magazine.


I decided that I wanted my pouches to be a little more colorful.
 I
I was able to pick up extra zippers at Goodwill, on ebay, and, for that special polka dot or zebra-print zipper, at JoAnn's Fabrics with a 40% coupon.
 
I chose bright cotton duck fabrics - remnants when I could get them - for the backing.
The duck gives the pouches the "weight" they need.


So grab all the old zippers you've stashed away and let's get started!


For each pouch, you'll need:

* Seven 7-inch zippers

* A rectangular piece of cotton duck (approximately 6" x 8", maybe a little larger depending on the width of your zippers. I bought a quarter-yard (9") of each color.
*Thread to match the cotton duck backing fabric.

 
Lay out the seven zippers in a pattern that appeals to you with zipper pulls alternating.
Pin zippers wrong sides together, one at a time, and sew with a 1/8" seam allowance (very close to the edge).
 
Press the zipper side flat and use it as a pattern to cut the backing piece of cotton duck. Stitch the front (zipper side) to the back (cotton duck side), right sides together, using a 1/4" seam. I stitched over the seam a second time to strengthen it and straighten it. Trim corners.
 

Unzip one of the zippers to allow room to turn the pouch right side out. Press flat.
 
I added a little key ring to the top zipper of my pouches to make them easy to carry . . and maybe even to hold a key if being used as a clutch purse. I found the key rings in the craft section  at WalMart . . . in packages of silver or in assorted colors for very little money.
 
 And voila...you're done!
Each pouch took me about an hour to make from start to finish.
 

On Wednesday, it's back to Fiber College in Searsport. ME. I can't wait. I'm signed up for a couple of classes (felting, book-binding) and hope to attend a number of the demonstrations and workshops. I love having the opportunity to learn new crafts in such a beautiful setting each year.

In the meantime, I'll be sewing these cute little pouches.

 Happy zipping!
 




This post is being shared on the following linky parties:
Sew Darn Crafty Party at Sew Many Ways
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On the Porch
 Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming
Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple
Sunday Block Party at Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty Sunday at Nifty Thrifty Things
Tutorial Tuesdays at Hope Studios

11 comments:

  1. Thank you Cheryl!
    You have made them so colorful. They are HAPPY bags!! Thanks for the instructions too!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! Great job on the colors!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore where the inspiration took you and love the alternating colors. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really cute and colourful! A great project. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! The black and white pouch is my favorite, but I love the colorful ones, too. Very cute and so useful! :-)
    Happy September!
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I don't sew much but I think I could make these! and want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw these in Country Living but never gave them a second thought. Your tutorial is great... I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...