Monday, December 16, 2013

Finding Street Art

Last week, new friend Anita and I took our cameras with us and roamed the back alleys of St. Augustine looking for what we decided to call "Street Art".  Here are a few works of "Street Art" we found along the way...
 

 
 Can you tell what the rusty collage element on this door is?

 
I love the contrast of colors in the windows of this old house.

 
 
Can a fence be art?
 
Maybe our "street art" is a variation on "found art "or even "folk art"..which leads back to the big question:  "What is Art?
 
We decided, for that day anyway, that art was whatever we decided it was and just went with it. As long as we could see it from the street, anything was fair game for our cameras!
 
 
 
 
To me, the window in this garden is just as much a piece of art as the sculpture.

 
 
 An outdoor mural, painted by local children...I love that kids aren't afraid of color.

 
 
 Graphic Art?

 
 
 A mosaic wall on Aviles Street.

 
 
 
 
The Star General Store on the edge of Lincolnville, a section of St. Augustine settled by freed slaves after the Civil War.
 
 
Is this Art?

 


It is to me.
 
How do you "know" art when you see it?
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I believe art is in the eye of the beholder, Cheryl. I love the examples that you have shared here. The courtyard with the statue and the old window hanging open is beautiful and I love the green shuttered window. Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...